Smoky sausage and Cajun seasoning add loads of flavor to rice and kidney beans in this sassy side dish.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced andouille sausages or 3⁄4 cup kielbasa
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cajun seasoning
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heal oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion, red pepper, celery and seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil and stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in beans; cook, uncovered, until heated through, about 2-3 minutes.