Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
My mother-in-law has made this awesome casserole for Thanksgiving and Easter for the past three years because everyone has loved it so much! I admit, I was skeptical at first when I first saw the dish, but after one bite I was hooked! It tastes almost like a dessert. If you want to try something a little different, I strongly suggest this recipe. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- Mix the 1st four ingredients together and pour into a greased baking pan.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet.
- Break the bread into small squares and drop into the melted butter.
- Stir, being careful not the make the bread mushy, until the bread has soaked up the butter.
- Spread bread evenly over the 1st mixture.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes.
I just had this for Easter dinner and it was absolutely fantastic! Quite different and yes, almost a dessert, but very good with baked ham.
I have the same recipe except mine calls for 2 tablespoons flour. Also there is another version of this in the 1984 Southern Living Book They add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and cinnamon. I have never added these as I think your recipe is just fine. This is a great side dish for a ham dinner. Thanks for posting. I'm making it this weekend. And, yes, it is almost like a dessert. Toni in Colorado
I too got this recipe from my mom. The only adjustment I made to it is I add a tlblspoon of coconut extract. Gives it a nice tropical flare.