Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was given to my mom (who, in turn, shared it with me) by a guy named Gene Brown. So, of course, when I was a kid we used to call it Gene Brown Beans. I never met him, but evidently he was into BBQ contests and whatnot. Either way, I want to give credit where credit is due, so thanks Gene, if you're out there. This is one serious recipe! In my house, we usually serve it over rice and make a meal of it. It's fabulous.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans (undrained)
- 1 -2 cup smoked sausage (sliced)
- 1 -2 cup cooked chicken (torn into pieces)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 -2 medium onion
- In a large pot on the stove, cook onions, garlic and meat.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer on medium for a good 20 minutes or so, so that the flavors can meld.
- Serve over rice.