Prep1 hr 30 mins
When you see bacon drippings as an ingredient, ya'll just know it's southern food. ;-) A stand mixer would be your new best friend when you make this easy, no-knead bread. Rising time is included in prep time.
- Combine scalded milk, salt, 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar, and bacon drippings. Cool.
- Combine yeast, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and warmed water. When yeast mixture begins to foam, add to cooled milk mixture.
- Add beaten egg, all purpose flour and whole wheat flour; beat for 3 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 45 minutes then stir in the bacon and beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole or two glass loaf pans about 9 x 5 x 3-inches. Let rise until batter reaches top of pan(s), about 30 minutes.
- Slash top diagonally a few times with a sharp knife. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes.