This is a great, fool-proof recipe from someone who lived in Nawlins and wishes she still did.
Make and share this Awesome Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 lb) package red kidney beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons creole seasoning or 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb smoked sausage (I have used chorizo which is good, but andouille is best)
- cooked rice (at least 3 cups)
- Soak kidney beans overnight OR rinse beans and add to pot, cover with 8 cups water and bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit, covered for one hour.
- Pour out water and add 8 cups fresh water.
- Chop onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- Add to beans.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, seasoned salt, and Creole seasoning.
- Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. When you stir, be sure to mash the beans against the sides of the pot. This creates a creamier texture.
- Slice the sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and add to beans. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve Red Beans over hot, steaming rice. Serve Jiffy cornbread on side (add 1 stick of butter and an extra egg to the recipe
- for some kick-ass cornbread!).