1/5 Photos of Awesome Red Beans and Rice
4 hrs 30 mins
This is a great, fool-proof recipe from someone who lived in Nawlins and wishes she still did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1 lb) package red kidney beans
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons creole seasoning or 1 1/2-2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb smoked sausage (I have used chorizo which is good, but andouille is best)
- cooked rice (at least 3 cups)
- 1Soak kidney beans overnight OR rinse beans and add to pot, cover with 8 cups water and bring to boil. Boil for 2 minutes, then turn off heat and let sit, covered for one hour.
- 2Pour out water and add 8 cups fresh water.
- 3Chop onion, bell pepper, celery and garlic.
- 4Add to beans.
- 5Add salt, pepper, thyme, seasoned salt, and Creole seasoning.
- 6Cover and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. When you stir, be sure to mash the beans against the sides of the pot. This creates a creamier texture.
- 7Slice the sausage into 1/4 inch pieces and add to beans. Cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- 8Serve Red Beans over hot, steaming rice. Serve Jiffy cornbread on side (add 1 stick of butter and an extra egg to the recipe
- 9for some kick-ass cornbread!).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Awesome Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (610 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.0
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 46.2 mg
- Sodium 1048.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 16.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: