Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This one from down home. She got this off the 'net somewhere,..but it is sooo good I call it all hers.
- Lard the roast well by inserting cubes of salt pork into small cuts in the roast.
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven or deep casserole and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add hot water, fruit juice, celery, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours on top of the stove or in the oven at 350 degrees until meat is tender.
- If liquid gets low, add water.
- About one hour before meal is to be served, add peeled potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Add a little additional salt for vegetables.
- When vegetables are tender, remove them and the meat to a platter and keep hot.
- Thicken liquid with 2-3 Tablespoons flour.