Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This one from down home. She got this off the 'net somewhere,..but it is sooo good I call it all hers.
- 4 lbs moose roast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 onions
- 1 teaspoon parsley, fresh,chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄4 cup salt pork, cubed
- 6 carrots
- 6 potatoes
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup tart fruit juice or 1 cup cider
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Lard the roast well by inserting cubes of salt pork into small cuts in the roast.
- Heat butter in a Dutch oven or deep casserole and brown the meat on all sides.
- Add hot water, fruit juice, celery, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for 3 hours on top of the stove or in the oven at 350 degrees until meat is tender.
- If liquid gets low, add water.
- About one hour before meal is to be served, add peeled potatoes, carrots and onions.
- Add a little additional salt for vegetables.
- When vegetables are tender, remove them and the meat to a platter and keep hot.
- Thicken liquid with 2-3 Tablespoons flour.