Adapted from a recipe by Mike Mills. This sauce is smooth and on the thin side, and it seeps down into the meat. Mike Mills is the only person to win three Grand World Champion titles at the Memphis in May International Barbecue Festival. He is also barbecue guru and partner at Danny Meyer's Blue Smoke restaurant in New York City and owner of six notable barbecue joints, two in Southern Illinois and four in Las Vegas. Mike is the author of Peace, Love, & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue. Gleaned from the Boston Globe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple juice or 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/8 cup soy sauce
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less to taste)
- 1/3 cup imitation bacon bits, ground in a spice grinder
- 1/3 cup peeled and grated apple
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2 teaspoons grated green bell peppers
- 1Mix together the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice or cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits in a large saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir it often.
- 3Allow to cool, then pour into sterilized glass jars. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- 4VARIATION: To make this sauce a little hotter, add more cayenne pepper to taste, approximately another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Be careful; a little cayenne goes a long way.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Barbecue Sauce!
Serving Size: 1 (718 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.9
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1730.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 61.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar
imitation bacon bits