Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Martha Stewart. Total Comfort Food.
Make and share this Anita Baker's Smothered Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (6 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces, rinsed and patted dry
- coarse salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 -2 cup store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large heavy skillet set over medium heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, rubbing it into the skin.
- Add chicken, skin-side down to the skillet; cook, turning once, until well browned. Remove and set aside.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the same skillet.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until golden brown.
- Add onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to skillet. Cook, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Transfer to a serving platter; garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Great! This was just as good as the Gladys Knight Smothered Chicken. Thanks.
Absolutely delicious and easy to make. My guest loved it, I served it with potatoes and broccoli rabe. This is a keeper.
This was an easy recipe to make. I halved the it with no problem. The chicken was tender and delicious. I served it with mashed potatoes. Great comfort food. Thanks LMiller