A "low-heat" gumbo that my family loves. The Cajun spice can be measured out to your family's tastes.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 (14 ounce) package smoked sausage
- 1 zucchini, sliced into medium thick quarters
- 3 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cajun spices
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon basil
- Cook chicken (any way) and dice.
- Slice the smoked sausage into medium thick quarters, refrigerate.
- Refrigerate zucchini.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients into crock pot, set on low for six hours.
- After six hours, add smoked sausage and zucchini. Continue cooking for another two hours. (If too watery for your tastes, add a can of tomato paste).
- Serve over hot rice in bowls. Chopped fresh cucumber can be added to individual servings to combat the heat, if desired.