Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe makes a very thick stew that's really good to eat on cold winter days. I've been eating this stew since I was a very small child and it's Dee-lish! It does take a while to make (I'm estimating on the cook time), but definitely worth it. I like to serve cornbread with this stew.
- Combine all meat in a large dutch oven.
- Add enough water to cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and cook meat until tender.
- Take the meat out of the liquid.
- Remove any bones and grind meat.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes and onions to the liquid in the dutch oven.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes begin to fall apart.
- After the vegetables are done, add the meat.
- Cook, stirring, over low heat until well combined.
- Add the ketchup, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce and seasonings to taste.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Stir frequently to prevent the stew from sticking to the bottom of the dutch oven.
- Add the corn and simmer for 20 additional minutes.