Got this from a Happy Hour friend, who grew up on this. All the garlic smells WONDERFUL simmering, but does not have a strong taste at serving. All the measurements are "abouts" - 3 cups/2 cups - whatever. It's SOUP, not brain surgery ! Flavors improve after sitting a day or 2. I have not tried to freeze.
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 30 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 64 ounces chicken broth
- 4 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (I put in 1 can without draining )
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- salt and pepper
- crouton (optional)
- bacon bits (optional)
- Saute onion, carrot, celery, and garlic in the olive oil in a LARGE soup pot for about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, beans, and sage.
- Simmer 1 hour (or more).
- Add salt and coarse ground pepper.
- Puree soup with immersion blender (or food processor in batches).
- Serve with croutons and/or bacon bits.